Monday, May 29, 2006

My Second 36 Hour Furlough


I am writing this PTO from my friend Carol's computer at her home with my sons on my lap. Yes, I am on my second 36 hour furlough.

I apologize for not notifying you of my furlough in advance and for not writing a PTO last week. The Reason: my furlough was on hold because my unit manager (the highest authority in the camp) does not like my PTO articles. A while ago I went to talk to him about something ( I can't recall what it was). He ended our conversation criticizing the articles that I write. He said that I was very negative; that have hate in my heart and that I should see life differently. I did not reply to his comment because I do understand that not everybody will like my writing, some will and some won't. A few days after our conversation he called for a town hall meeting and he said to all of us that some of us will never get anything accomplished because we see life under a negative glass and he said the same words that he had said to me in our previous meeting. I knew at that moment that he was truly upset with my writing and that the comment was meant for me.

I decided that I was going to avoid anything that would make me to talk to him and I also did not want to argue with him. Them ACA (American Correctional Accreditation) inspection came and they all got stressed ( I will write that inspection in a separate article), along with the (cinco de mayo) Mexican day of celebration. So he put together a Religious day off to every body. We also had special food that day and he was working very hard and putting extra hours. I saw him in the dining hall and he looked exhausted and he sat at a table by himself . I thought about the extra mile he goes for us, also that even though we have some disagreements, overall he is a good unit manager. It was on my mind to write a cop-out to him and give him thanks, but I decided at that moment to go over to his table and give thanks personally. I said to him, "Mr... I want to let you know that I am thankful for the good programs that you implemented at the camp such as Washington Mutual Bank Accounts, Toastmasters and the Unit Base Education Programs." I noticed a deep discomfort on his face as I was talking then and he said: "now Ms. Guanipa why don't write about that instead of writing about Draconian Sentences and that the unit manager said ...." and he went on and on . I said to him, "well I thought about writing about the Washington Mutual Banks Saving Accounts and if that pleases you I will definitely do it."

He continued quoting some of my PTO's and suddenly one of the Religious Volunteers is standing next to us with her meal tray in her hands and she said to him: " oh Mr.... this is a feast, this is a lot of food and really good food. Do "they" (us inmates) get this everyday?". He answered: "thank you, thank you, yes "they" do and you know what? "they" still complain." The lady looked at me with ugly face and left. After she was gone, I said to him "you see you know that we do not get this food everyday." He said, "What I meant was every Cinco De Mayo." I replied, "You did not say that to the lady... that is the point of our argument: you want to portray to society something different about prisoners and I write the truth about prisoners." He stopped me and angrily said that I was mislabeling his big brothers (The BOP). I was getting very uncomfortable and I was preparing my reply in legal terms when I guess he saw that on my face and he said, "Well, you are entitled to your opinion and there is nothing that I can do." I said, "Thank you."

In the meantime, I was waiting for my furlough papers to be signed by the warden, and they all kept telling me that the papers were in the warden's office. Since the paper work was taking too long I decided to ask my supervisor help and he found out that my papers were on hold by the Unit Manager for an action that I had made. My supervisor, the warden's secretary, and my chaplain came to my rescue and talked to the unit manager on my behalf and he agreed to release my papers. I went to ask him what was my action and he said, "It was concluded that you may be a threat because you might contact the media and manipulate the system." I was in such shock I could not believe such a kindergarten excuse, instead of telling me straight out that he is against my PTO's articles. He promised that I was going to be able to take my furlough and that it will be on time (it takes time to process those papers).

Then last Thursday, just one day before my furlough, I was still waiting for my papers and of course I was desperate. I was on my way to the counselor's office when I see the PA waving at me and calling me from across the compound. I was afraid to go because I was wearing shorts and I could not go to that area in shorts, so I said to her, "Look I am in shorts." She answered, "Do not worry." I went and the PA asked me to take a very ill and old lady to her unit. At first I hesitated. Then I said to the PA, "You better cover for me, because going to the lady's unit is out of bounds for me and I am taking a furlough this weekend and if i get an incident report I will not get my furlough." She said, "Go, I will cover you."

I was still hesitant because I do not like to do anything unless it is in writing and signed by the officer, but I look at the lady, and she was in very bad shape. She looked at me and said in a tumbling voice, "Guanipa I can not walk. Please go to my room and get my wheelchair and back and get me." I could not say no, however, that meant double the risk. I ran to get the wheelchair and came back to get the lady. While I was moving her, she was throwing up. The PA was gone and I was crossing to the camp officer station. I thought about notifying the officer about my second trip to an "out of bound" area for me, but the lady was so sick. I held the chair very tight and thought to myself, "My Dear sons Yrwil and Jeswil if I lose my furlough for helping this old and sick female prisoner I hope both of you will forgive me." Then something beautiful happened: I felt the embrace of my sons' arms and I saw their smiling faces saying, "Go mommie." The sensation was so real and powerful that I got the unmeasurable strength to take the lady to her room, clean her, put her in her bunk and look for someone to help her. Then I ran to the counselor's office and she said to me, "The warden just signed your papers a few minutes ago and the papers are on their way back."

Here I am enjoying my sons in my arms and wondering if it is worth it to put my next 7 day furlough and half way house at risk if I continue writing my PTO's from prison. But my dear friends, I feel that if I do not write to you I am as good as dead. The truth is important to me, and such it should be told.

I love you all.
Yraida (Leo) Guanipa

Feel free to share this article or write to me at:
Yraida L. Guanipa # 44865-004
PO Box 1027
Coleman, Fl. 33521-1027

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write so well and so intelligently you must do something with these skills when you get out. You paint such a real picture of your experience, it feels real for the reader, best wishes, The Artist

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home