Thursday, March 23, 2006

Love In Prison

Love (for me) is a total surrender of yourself (mind, body & soul), an unconditional giving. There are different kinds of love, love for animals, mother's love, love for plants, couple's love, etc. I want to talk about love between couples, even though I am not an expert in the matter of love because I have only one love in my life. I fell in love with my husband and the father of my sons when I was 13 years old, it was a true and one time love. Pure, unconditional, beautiful and without limits kind of love. I truly loved him. During my 10 grim years of incarceration, the pain and the suffering from being away from my sons is so deep that there has been no room in my life/heart for love, however I have witnessed all kinds of couple's love, even the unthinkable ones. I truly believe that there is a part of us that never grows, the child inside us dies when we die. When I see how couples fall in love inside prison, it brings back memories of my high-school years, like sending little notes to each other, offering candy, talking with their eyes, sending messages with a third party of where to meet, etc. I have seen officers , even executive officers falling in love with inmates, I know what they went through to maintain their relationship inside prison, how they hid themselves inside freezer, warehouses, etc, to kiss each other or have sex, how they had to ignore each other in front of others, how they sent anonymous notes to each other and in the end, the officer leaves everything, job, wife, government benefits, even the country to marry the inmate upon her release. I also have seen how officers abuse and lie to inmates to gain sexual favors. There are some, wild, crazy and violent love affairs too, like the ones between inmates (same sex) some of them physically abuse each other, fight with others to defend there lovers, wiling to go to the shu (hole) and have 2 or 3 lovers at the same time, there is also love between prisoners by letter from one prison to another, love between drivers (UPS< DHL< truck drivers, etc) and inmates, outside contractors and inmates, inmates with other inmate's famly or relative, etc, but there is one instance of love that I admired and enjoy watching and it is of my co-worker's. She is over 60 and her husband is over 70, he is at the nedium facility, and he is very sick (in a wheelchair), another prisoner carries him around. Every morning he stands close to the wire fence to see her pass by. The distance is about 100 yards and there is a thick wire fence in between, the vision is blurry, neither can see each other clearly, so they both use a white piece of cloth to wave to each other. He does not like her to see him in the weelchair so, he stands just to wave at her, after they wave to each other they go inside and write a letter to each other every day. They both have to be very carefull because if the authorities find-out that they wave to each other, she will receive an incident report, will be shipped out of the camp and he will be sent to the SHU (hole). No matter how cold or hot it may be, he is always there on the other side of the fence waiting for her. They have been married for over 40 years they are firs-time, non-violent offenders, no drug, medicare or identity theft charge, but they both receive a 20 years sentence. I belive that he will die inside prison and she will not be by his side. We do not have the gas-chambers like in the NAZI era but we do have draconian sentences that an elderly will not survive and no human being should have to endure. I love you all. Yraida

5 Comments:

Blogger Blake said...

Wow. That was a fabulous piece ending with a wonderful story. Makes me want to stay up and read more. You might break the piece up with paragraphs, but no matter, I kept reading. Write more on prison love. It's fascinating.

4:36 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dear "Love in Prison"

I am contacting you after seeing your post on this forum. The company for which I work is in the process of casting for a new documentary series about women who meet and marry (or plan to marry) their husbands while the men are incarcerated. If you know of any women who met their boyfriends or husbands while either they were in prison or the men were in prison, please let them know about our project and give them our email address (prisonwivescasting@gmail.com) so that they can contact us with their story. Thank you.

Sincerely,
Prison Wives Production Team

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my man is doing a ten year bit i pray everyday that somehow hes blessed to come home early he is my one true love and i will be here when god sets him free

10:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, This a beautiful peice. I love writting myself. My husband is also in prison. We got married recently, he's my only and only. Our wedding was far from a normal prison wedding. It has the most unique attributes ever, not like most prison weddings. And it felt like I'd pulled off an mirecle just so we could have it.

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made me cry!
The man I love is in prison. He has been down now for about 10 years and has another eleven for parole. He calls me almost every day, he writes the most beautiful amazing letters and I would rather have this with him, than have someone else, just because they are 'physically' present. There are nights I cry myself to sleep, just longing to feel his arms around me.
This is going to be a long road, but the way I see it, if you love someone, then isn't it worth it?

4:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home