Sunday, July 30, 2006

Unit Base Education Program


In the Federal Prison System, classes are taught through the Education Department. Due to budget cuts, the only two classes required by law are GED and English as a second language. There are other educational programs offered by the education department such as: VT(Vocational training), a certification from the experience of your prison job; - Adult education, classes taught by inmates who volunteer to share their knowledge and experiences with other inmates, and Self-taught videos or computer classes. Other departments such as psychology, religious services, food services, recreation department, etc. offer classes or groups taught by staff or contractors.

The Unit Team, which is composed of a counselor, case manager, and unit manager also sometimes volunteer their services to teach or lead different groups. I truly like when the Unit Team offers classes (other than religious classes) because we have the opportunity to interact with our unit team on a more personal level than just on a paperwork level. I remember years ago when I took a class with a counselor that I did not have a good relationship with and at the end of the class she changed her views about me and our relationship changed for the good.

When our unit manager was transferred to this camp, he implemented a program called: UNIT BASE EDUCATION PROGRAM. The program has been a success. Even though I have disagreements with my unit manager, I recognize that he cares enough about prisoner's education, and I respect him for that. The unit base education program are classes that are taught by inmates in a variety of subjects such as: credit awareness, paralegal, basic algebra skills, job interviews, money smart, credit report, as a women thinketh, resume writing, employment skills, etc.

I volunteered my services to teach: "Marketing Strategies." I love that subject. It amazes me how marketing advertising experts combine psychology, science, techonogy, trends, culture, place, weather, color, human needs and weaknesses, etc. to persuade our minds to feel the desire or neccesity to buy their products or to vote for a candidate. I taught my students (one class in English and one class in Spanish) about: -How to research the markets, customers, competition, and industry; How to advertise: T.V., radio, newspaper, creative campaign, word of mouth, telemarketing, direct mail, one-on-one, etc; -The marketing variables: products, packaging, price, place, and promotions; and -How to prepare a sales plan. I truly enjoyed teaching that class. I was asked to volunteer to teach another class in that program called: "Keeping Connected." It was a type of AA group in which we share our experiences in how we can keep our bonds with our children due to long years of separation because of incarceration. I did not know how hard it was going to be for me to teach that class, talk about my history as a prisoner and a mother, and answer questions to my fellow prisoners. It is a draining process. I cried through the entire two day session, class after class, and I have the feeling that it is the same for the students, because a few of them have written good comments about the class. Vanessa wrote:" I was in attendance of the first 'keeping connected' class, and I would like to thank you and the 3 ladies that held the class. That class brought me and my daughter to a new level. When I first got here, I was so bitter, and I did not realize that I took it out on my child at times. The ladies in the class taught me so many different approaches to keeping connected to my child while I am in prison. Well, what I am trying to say is that whoever is in charge of that class, 'WELL DONE.' I hope from time to time we have more classes like this one".

The prisoners are allowed to write their comments about any class, and I have never seen so many good comments about a class taught by prisoners. That convinced me more that we need to do something about the alarming increased rate of women (mothers) in prison. I hope society agrees with me and realizes that we need help.

I love you all.
Yraida L. Guanipa (Leo)

Feel free to share this or write to me at:
Yraida L. Guanipa # 44865-004
FCC Coleman-Camp
P.O. Box 1027
Coleman, Florida 33521-1027

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home