Sunday, January 08, 2006

Answers to Family Day

Dear Friends: P.T.O. means: Prison Talk Online Q/A and C means: Questions, answers and comments I got lots of replies from the Family Day article including questions/comments from overseas, specially Europe/England. Those who have or had a loved one in prison, the reply was the same: "you are not alone in your mixed feelings; we feel the same". The rest were just as surprised, confused and mostly were in shock as to why I was not able to share (family day) with my sons in almost 10 years. They asked me: - If I did not have custody of my sons?; if my sons' father did not let me see my sons?; if I was not allowed to see my sons due to prison's rules and regulations?; if my family abandoned me?;, etc, etc, Here are the answers to all of your questions: -I still have shared custody of my sons; _ I am very grateful to my family and the father of my sons (legally still my husband) because they have been by my side and supporting me all these 10 years; further they always are telling my sons about me and how much I love them; - The prisons rules and regulations does not barred me to see my sons. There are different reasons why I did not have a family day with my sons in always 10 years: the first year there was no family day here at Coleman-Camp; the second year my family could not afford the travel expenses; the 3rd year my family arrived 5 minutes late and they were not allowed in the 4th year I was in Tallahassee and there was no family day in Tallahassee; the 5th year my family could not afford the travel expenses to Tallahassee; the 6th and 7th year I was in Marrianna-Florida and Marrianna did not offer Family day; the 8th year there was no family day here in Coleman because the authorities claimed that they did not have money; the 9 and1/2 year I was finally able to participate in a family day with my sons. There were some comments from England, Africa, and Australia such us: "How the United States government would allow a mother to be separated from her sons for so many years; that's cruel, arcaic and unhumane". Unfortunately what happened to me is not the exception but the rule. In our judicial system the sentences for first-time, non-violent offenders are too long and the prisoners are housed hundreds of miles away from their communities and family and we must keep working to change the system. I love you all. yraida (leo)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I have a Family day comming up soon, I'm really nervous to go. I'm taking my 82yr. old father there to visit his grandson. Do you think that is a good idea.

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home